Saturday, November 5, 2011

Firefighter 1

I got my test results back for my firefighter one and I am excited to say that I passed. I wonder how everyone else in my department who was in our FF1 class did. I know of at least one who did not pass but we had a total of 7 of us taking the class with me being the most "junior" firefighter in the class. The pager has been quite lately for fire calls. We have a department SOP that no one goes on First responder calls alone. When those come across I wait to see if anyone signs on so I can go and assist. I plan on getting into a basic EMT course next but I am wanting to see if my department will sponsor me and pay for the training. They have done it before in the past for other members in our department so I am hoping they can do it for me as well. I have a goal to join the department at Savannah River site where I work. I am already a employee for the site but to get hired onto the department there I need to have my FF1 and EMT basic. It would be the only job in the field I could go into as a entry level and support my family. It is my dream to do this as a living but financially I am on seeking this one job that would transfer me in and maintain my seniority and rate of pay as if i had been there the entire time. I know there are probably better paying jobs out there in the field but I think If they are out there then they are very few and far between. Maybe I am misinformed. If someone can tell me what the expected entry level firefighter makes in your area I would love to hear it.

1 comment:

  1. Out here in CA, at metropolitan departments, with overtime, you're easily into 6 figures. If you happen to be at one of the better paying departments out here the base pay for a top step firefighter is more than 6 figures. Contact me through my blog if you want more specific info on CA departments.

    ReplyDelete